Juicy tomatoes combined with crispy cucumbers are the basis of this simple and easy salad. The addition of black olives and basil bring this salad together just perfectly. Some people refer to this type of salad as an Italian Tomato Salad.
This is a perfect summer salad, because you can use what you have in the garden or get at the farmers market. If you have a garden, then this is very inexpensive to make.
After combining all of the ingredients, the oil and vinegar “juice” at the bottom is great to dip a nice Italian bread. Mmmm. So delicious! I wasn’t in the mood, but some people add onions to this. Another great addition would be fresh mozzarella.
This tomato & cucumber salad is one of those recipes where there’s no exact science. You can add more or less of the ingredients to your liking.
- This recipe can be adapted to your liking, so there's no exact amount to use of each ingredient.
- 1-2 tomatoes
- ½-1 cucumber
- ½ can black olives, drained
- 3-5 basil leaves
- about ⅓-1/4 C. olive oil (I used canola oil, but olive oil is preferred)
- ¼ C. red wine vinegar
- ½-1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Roughly chop tomatoes and cucumbers to about ½-1 inch cubes and add to bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and combine.
- Keep in mind the black olives are nicely salted, so you may not want to add that much salt.
- Serve immediately, or put in the refrigerator to marinate.