Even though it was in the high 80’s, I felt the need to make some cupcakes. The heat made me think, “Hey, silly…it’s summer!” But I still had the baking bug. I didn’t want to go through the whole making-a-cake-from-scratch process, so I figured a boxed cake mix and a nice doctored up icing would be perfect.
But what to make? I thought a nice citrus cupcake would do the trick. I’ve seen some Orange Creamsicle Poke Cupcakes around the web but I wanted to make mine different. Perhaps make the frosting a bit different. Yes! I decided the addition of cream cheese to the frosting would truly add to the creaminess of the “creamsicle”. The frosting is light and fluffy and has just the right amount of orange flavor.
- FOR THE CUPCAKES
- Boxed Cake Mix (and the ingredients to make) *I used yellow, but white would work best for color contrast.
- FOR THE FROSTING
- 1 container Cool Whip
- ½ pkg cream cheese (4oz)
- 1 - 1.85oz pkg vanilla pudding
- ¾ C. milk
- 1 3oz pkg of Orange Jello *Use only 5 tsp. of Jello (in powdered form) for the frosting, remaining is used for "poking" the cupcakes
- FOR THE JELLO LIQUID FOR THE "POKE" PART:
- remaining amount of jello
- ¾ C boiling water
- ½ C cold water
- 3-4 ice cubes
- OPTIONAL: garnish with orange wedges
- Make cupcakes according to box directions. Cool.
- Using a stand mixer, cream together softened cream cheese, milk, and pudding until combined. Add jello. Mix until smooth. Fold in cool whip.
- Jello liquid to "Poke" cupcakes:
- boil ¾ C. water and add jello. stir until completely dissolved. Add cold water and ice.
- Add to cupcakes. You can do this two ways.
- A) poke holes in cupcakes with a skewer or something similar. Drizzle liquid over cupcakes.
- *This way is messy and may make cupcakes too wet.
- B) I had an extra, unused medicine syringe that holds up to 5ml. I washed it in hot soapy water. Add liquid to the syringe and squirt in various parts of the cupcake. No need to make holes first.
- Put in fridge for 2 to 3 hours or overnight. Frost, garnish if you'd like, and enjoy!
I used yellow cake mix. If you want more of a color contrast, use white cake mix.