It was a cold and frosty day. I wanted something filling, but not too heavy. Not sure what I was in the mood for, I headed for the pantry. A can of black beans stared at me…hmm. Soup! Yes, creamy black bean soup! So I grabbed this and that and went to the stove to create my black bean soup from scratch.
It was so simple and easy to make. I had everything I needed right in my kitchen. I’m trying to be more mindful about what I eat. So, I used low-sodium black beans to make it even more healthy.
This soup doesn’t have too many ingredients. Besides the beans, there’s vegetable broth and onions. Fresh cilantro tied it all together. Yum. A great vegetarian and vegan soup.
This protein-packed soup would go well with a nice crusty piece of bread and a salad.
- 3 15oz cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1-2 tsp olive oil
- 20oz Vegetable Broth
- 1 small onion, diced
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3-5 fresh cilantro leaves, optional
- in a pot, saute onion over medium heat until they start to turn translucent
- add remaining ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes, until heated through.
- Let cool a little and use hand/emersion blender to make a nice smooth soup.