Although a big cake is wonderful, with these Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes, everyone gets a cherry and big slice of pineapple! My 10 year old like these a lot. Kids are so used to cupcakes with frosting, so I wasn’t sure how he’d like them. So, I was happy to know these will be enjoyed by kids and adults alike.
These cupcakes are simple and delicious! Boxed cake mix to make this recipe quick and easy. Just a few extra steps take your regular boxed cake mix to a whole other level!
Butter, brown sugar, and vanilla go into the bottom of the cupcake pan.
Next go the pineapple and cherries.
Cake mix goes over that, then you bake.
Cool and flip over. YUM!
- Boxed vanilla cake mix (and ingredients to make).
- 2 cans of pineapple slices (you'll have leftovers)
- 24 maraschino cherries
- 5 Tbs butter, melted
- 1 c dark brown sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350*
- In a medium bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar, and vanilla.
- Prepare non-stick 12 slot cupcake pan with non-stick spray.
- In each slot add about a tsp of the sugar/butter mixture.
- On top of that add a pineapple slice and a cherry. I had to break apart the pineapples to make them fit.
- Prepare cake mix according to box directions.
- Add the cake mix over the fruit. It should be close to the top, but not over flowing. Gently tap a few times on table/counter.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Take out of the oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Take a cutting board or a long plate and put over the top and flip over. Gently shake until all cupcakes are out.
These Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes are a great dessert for any occasion. What would you make them for? Leave a comment below to let us know.