While this version doesn’t use the same exact ingredients as in traditional Italian Wedding Soup, the principals remain the same. Instead of small, round pasta, I used linguine. My meatballs were made with turkey instead of beef. For the greens, I used spinach instead of escarole. That’s what makes it homestyle. Use what you have on hand and make it your own!
I had my kids help with making the meatballs. It went much faster with the three of us making them. The meatballs varied in size, but, that wasn’t a bad thing! It made our Italian Wedding Soup more special and rustic. I loved the fact that it made it look more homemade. And the fact that we made it together. That’s what homemade food is all about…love. My kids are getting older, so it’s not like when they were little and always wanted to help. This was a nice way to spend a little time together.
- For meatballs:
- 2½ lbs ground turkey
- 1 C Italian style bread crumb
- 1 egg
- ⅓ C. water
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- season with salt and pepper
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 1½ C. carrots, cut into coins
- ¾ C. chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 12oz bag of spinach
- 2 48oz cans of chicken broth
- ⅓ pgk linguine, broken into small pieces (about 1 - 1½ inch pieces)
- 1 C. Water
- garlic powder, salt and pepper, to taste
- Put all meatball ingredients in a bowl and mix by hand until everything is combined. Shape into small balls, about ½ - 1".
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat and add carrots, onions, celery and garlic. Sweat for 6-8 minutes on low, or until onions become translucent.
- Add chicken broth, water, and frozen spinach.
- Let it come to a slow boil and add meatballs. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add broken linguine and cook about 8 minutes, or until al dente.
What is your favorite thing to make with your family? Comment below to share.Disclaimer: Content and photos may not be added to any site, blog, etc. as your own. You may add a photo to a collage for "round ups" as long as there is a link back to the original post and credit given to this site.